Balance Bikes For Kids: 5 Things You Should Know
These bikes help your children learn the ropes of cycling and gain confidence
They ride it gingerly when you first promote your kids from the humble tricycle to the balance bikes. While some crack the code early on how to balance it and want to graduate to the next stage, others may take a bit more time to get the balance right. Here are some things that you should know about balance bikes and how you can help your kids move to the next level.
1. When you choose a balance bike, go for one that is not too heavy and yet is sturdy enough to withstand the rough use your kid may put it through.
2. Go for a bike that suits your kid’s height. The seat should be comfortable and your child’s feet should be able to touch the ground. They should be able to easily reach the handlebars.
3. Choose a well-fitted helmet. A helmet is extremely important to reduce the risk of head injuries should the child fall on a hard surface while cycling. You can also invest in knee pads.
4. Encourage your child to practice riding the bike as many times as possible. Kids are known for their fickle behaviour and may lose interest after a fall. You can make the bike more ‘attractive’ for them by pasting stickers of their favourite cartoon characters or by making some new additions to the bike, like a new bell or a basket.
5. Remember, you can make any form of learning fun for your child. And, cycling is definitely fun. Join your kid for a ride as often as possible.